CURCUMIN (Yellow Turmeric)
Curcumin is a rare active ingredient extracted from yellow turmeric. Curcumin can exist in at least 2 tautomer forms, keto and enol . Enols structure is more stable in terms of energy in solid-phase and solution. Curcumin has anti-cancer, anti-oxidant, anti-arthritic, anti-degenerative, anti-ischemic and anti-inflammatory properties.
Effects of Curcumin in cancer treatment
- With high dose, curcumin is used in skin, colorectal, gastric, breast, pancreatic cancers, leukemia and other diseases of skin (stiff, psoriasis) by removing free radicals and reducing inflammation by NF-kB inhibition.
- By oral and eating absorption, curcumin inhibits the initiation and promotion of a variety of cancers, primarily gastric mucosa cancer or mucositis caused by radiation.
- If taken regularly in high dose, curcumin will resist villous atrophy, villi in the digestive tract, against toxicity of anticancer drugs which causes activation of NF-kB (as methotrexate, doxorubicin, 5-fluorouracil, cisplatin, paclitaxel) and radiation. Curcumin may prevent some toxic chemicals and not allow them to invade into healthy cells
- Curcumin stops the development of cancer in a very early stage and does not allow cancer cells to multiply before discovery of a tumor.
- Combine EGCG (in green tea) with curcumin will help to increase effectiveness and kill more tumor cells.
- Curcumin inhibits protein kinase C-(PKC), an enzyme playing an important role in cancer. Inhibition and prevention of PKC from signaling shall slows down the proliferation of cancer cells (including breast, prostate, skin, lung cancer).
- Curcumin is anti-inflammatory by inhibiting cyclooxygenase (COX) and lipooxygenase (LOX) which causes inflammation by inhibiting COX, which is effective in preventing colon cancer.
- Curcumin can stop neovascular creation. Some enzymes help tumor to self create blood vessels to nourish themselves (called neovascularization), this phenomenon makes the tumor invade surrounding tissues and spread. Using curcumin will inhibit neovascular creation and contribute to prevent metastasis.